Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sesame Street Books Make Great Gifts for Christmas 2010


I came to know about the Sesame Street program and Sesame Street Books first as an adult and then later as a parent.

My first foray into the world of Sesame Street were the Bert and Ernie characters through my husband's niece.

As an adult I would hear references to songs from Sesame Street such as "One of these things is not like the other" and still, wasn't aware of the scope and breadth of the show that this month is celebrating 40 years of preschool education in literacy and numeracy.

And today as a parent of an elementary grade school student, I feel like I've logged enough hours watching Sesame Street to feel like a Sesame Street graduate. And while I know more about Sesame Street than at any other time in my years, the show's continuous development and growth to meet the needs of it's preschool audience may warrant me a newbie in the near future.

That being said, I view the Sesame Street books as valuable tools for children's learned reading behavior. In these stories children can not only connect with the characters they see on the show they can connect with the characters activities and accomplishments. Whether it's learning the ABCs or potty training, children can relate to the characters and their reactions to events and emotions they feel on a frequent, if not everyday basis. Learning manners, overcoming fear of monsters, learning about pets and animals are all introduced in a creative, colorful manner.

Reading the Sesame Street stories using board books is ideal for their durability and economical sense. While the story may get overworked with readings after readings, these book are built tough to stay together for the next reading.

Whether it's Elmo, Big Bird, the Cookie Monster, or Count von Count, the Sesame Street books provide educational reading in a fun, colorful way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adsense